« back to certifications offered
Smithsonian Bird Friendly
Coffee that Helps the Environment
Smithsonian Bird Friendly certification is a research-based shade certification offered by the Smithsonian National Zoo & Conservation Biology Institute. QCS is pleased to offer this certification for organic, shade-grown coffee operations in Ecuador.
Simply put, this certification ensures through strict standards that coffee is grown on farms that provide quality, forest-like habitat for birds. Rather than being grown on land that has been cleared of all other vegetation, Bird Friendly coffees are planted in the shade of tree canopy.
- conservation of habitat for birds and other wildlife
- protection for migratory songbirds
- increased biodiversity in agroforestry systems
- adherence to 100% certified organic standards
- carbon sequestration that can combat climate change
- farmers’ ability to receive a premium for their products
For more information regarding Smithsonian Bird Friendly certification:
Contact QCS through our Contact page, an email to email@example.com, or a phone call to (352) 377-0133